1. I see you have a new release this month… tell me about that? And how did you come up with such a fun name for it?
Yes! On Nov 5th, my YA fantasy novella, “The Escape of Princess Madeline,” is being released. It is a fun story with aspects of magic, fantasy, and romance, set at a quick pace.
Faced with an impending marriage, a knight champion, and a future that she did not choose or want, Princess Madeline finds herself in the middle of an impossible decision. Using her charm, strength and stubbornness, she defies the King, her father, at every turn, determined to keep her freedom on her terms. Follow Princess Madeline in this adventure full of twists and turns to find freedom and love.
I’m glad you like the name! It actually just came to me one day at lunch. It was my lunch break at work, and as I was busy doodling in my notebook, the idea for this book came tumbling out. I wrote the outline that first day, and the first draft was finished about a month and a half’s lunch breaks.
2. How many other works do you have in the world that you have published?
This is my first, but I have dreams for more! I was so excited when I got the acceptance and contract from Malachite Quills Publishing. They have helped make this dream come true.
3. Your twitter account says you are always on an adventure… that sounds fun. Tell me, what crazy adventure’s do you wake up to?
Oh wow… every day is something new. We have a 5 year old daughter and a 3 year old son, so we are always busy. They can be a bit rambunctious at times, so I found that being active with new projects and activities worked well for us. In the summer we’re busy with hikes, beach trips, zoo, museums, berry picking, and parks. Now that school has started we are a bit more tamed, but we still do weekly science projects, library fun, and “Wild Wednesday Adventures.” Life in our house is definitely an adventure.
4. Can you list the area’s where we can find you on the web?
Yes, yes, yes. There is my website, twitter, facebook, and goodreads pages. Please come take a look, follow me, and like my pages to get news on the latest events and updates. I would love to hear from all my fans and friends.
5. It’s SCARE MONTH On Grader Gal Books and I do a lot of fun things for Halloween. What fun things do you and your family and or friends do for the Holiday?
Halloween is such a fun time at our house. We have different traditions all month long. From getting the costumes ready (This year is Ariel and an Angry Bird) to making homemade candy bags. The pumpkin patch is in the field literally across the street, so we have fun running through the hay mazes, riding the train and finding the “perfect” pumpkin… then there is the pumpkin painting, the pumpkin carving and the pumpkin seed making… it is a fun month…like I said, always an adventure.
6. What is your Favorite Halloween Candy?
Baby Ruth. Believe it or not, I never had these until two years ago. For some reason, the packaging always threw me off, and I thought I wouldn’t like them… so a couple of years ago when I was having some candy craving, I told myself “you can only eat the baby ruth’s,” thinking that would dissuade me from eating a bunch. Oh man, was I wrong. I LOVE them!
7. Of all your works, what is your favorite Character and why?
I loved creating Princess Madeline. To me, she combined so many struggles that women face growing up and became a protagonist that was easily relatable to and a positive example. It was important to balance the hard and soft qualities of her – her rashness with intelligence, her stubbornness with strength, and her defiance with vulnerability.
8. One of my favorite Halloween memories was with my family. We would put pumpkins on the hood of our Suburban and put candles in them with decorated faces and drive around
town Trick or treating. What is your favorite memory of Halloween’s gone by?
I also loved the trick or treating. I don’t think I ever really grew out of it. The street that I grew up on made a huge deal out of it… the streets were barricaded off due to the number of people walking around. The houses were all decorated, the candy was great, and the memories are fantastic.
9. After this release of your new book, do you have another you are working on?
I am currently working on the sequel, “The Battle for Princess Madeline.” Now that Princess Madeline has found her future, how far will she go to protect it- a true battle between good and evil.
10. Each morning when you wake up. what is the single most difficult thing to get going as a writer?
That is a toughie… for me, my writing comes in the evening after bedtime. From the time I wake up until bedtime, I am 100% full-time focused mommy… but once the stories are read, and the prayers are said, I am in my closet writing. Since my time is so limited, my challenge is to try and keep realistic expectations of what I can accomplish each day. I have a plan and I attack it.
11. bonus question: With the fun tradition of SCARE MONTH… I have been asking everyone to tell me where they hide their chocolate. And with that,
I give you creative license.
The chocolate you can have… it’s next to my pillow. Just make sure you stay away from the coffee or we’ll have problems!
Kirstin… sooooo awesome to have you on!!!! YOU have been wonderful……Everyone, Please enjoy and don’t forget to check out her site and her writing!!